Every guy knows how hard it is to stay on the right track when it seems every menu in this city is splattered with a million different “cheese covered and “deep fried” whatchamacallits. With choices like these, eating-out could become much more of a chore than the experience it was meant to be.
Luckily for you, GayMensBootCamp has put together a list of a few fabulous NYC restaurants that are fun, trendy and most importantly offer healthy choices on those nights when cooking isn’t an option.
HEALTHY IN CHELSEA:
1. Elmo 156 Seventh Avenue, New York City 10011
With a menu so varied, there’s something for everyone at this hot downtown spot. But this menu could also render all those pushups meaningless if you don’t choose wisely.
- DO: The Steak Salad is a great idea for dinner at Elmo’s. The meal is filling (with all the right stuff) and equally delicious. Remember that any protein item that’s grilled is ALWAYS better than fried and with the rest of the dish filled with cherry tomatoes, field greens, apples and walnuts; you won’t be missing a thing.
- DON’T: Forget to ask for your bleu cheese and vinaigrette on the side. Actually, you should put this DON’T into your everyday repertoire for eating-out so you can always stay in control of what goes into your mouth.
2. Cafeteria 119 Seventh Avenue, New York City 10011
- DO: A favorite of mine here is the Grilled Turkey Burger as are most of their menu options. But there are some ways you could tailor foods to make them even more suitable to your healthy lifestyle. First, lose the bun! Secondly, stay away from calorie-heavy condiments like ketchup that are loaded with sugar.
- DON’T: Sabotage yourself by building it yourself! While Cafeteria offers a lot of options on self-constructed meals, remember not to go overboard. Stay far, far away from any combination of three-cheeses and their very own menu add-on “heaping mess of ridiculousness.” I think that speaks for itself.
HEAVENLY CHOICE IN HELLS KITCHEN:
3. Agua Dulce 802 Ninth Avenue, New York City 10019
- DO: An amazing option that gives you all flavor without those morning-after regrets is making small appetizer plates and salads into your entrée. Whether it’s their Steamed Mussels or Ensalada Verde, you’ll enjoy healthy proteins with a mix of non-traditional flavors like papaya, ginger and jalapeño.
- DON’T: Fool yourself into thinking it’s healthy just because they call it a salad! Anything that’s topped with croutons, bleu cheese AND Thousand Island dressing is probably not your best bet.
So the next time you find yourself famished in the city, check out one of these spots and be sure to put your new found knowledge to work so you’ll have all the gain without any of the pain that comes with eating bad food!
It’s not too late to register for GayMensBootCamp this session! Don’t miss out!